The NHL on Tuesday announced its 2023 All-Star Game skill competitions, including an event where players will attempt to throw their opponents into a dunk tank on Fort Lauderdale Beach.
The “Splash Shot” is one of seven events planned for the 2023 NHL All-Star Skills, taking place on Friday, February 3 at 7 p.m. at Sunrise’s FLA Live Arena, home of the Florida Panthers. It will be broadcast on ESPN and ESPN+.
The league announced that women internationals will be attending the NHL All-Star Celebration: Team USA’s Alex Carpenter and Hilary Knight, and Team Canada’s Emily Clark, Rebecca Johnston and Sarah Nurse. Hockey Hall of Famer goaltender Roberto Luongo, now a manager with the Panthers, will compete in the NHL Breakaway Challenge as a celebrity goaltender.
There are three new NHL All-Star Skills Competition events this season:
• splash shot: It will be held on Fort Lauderdale Beach and there will be eight shooters, two on each division team. Players go head-to-head and must hit all targets before attempting to dunk their opponents.
• Pitch ‘n Puck: Using a combination of hockey and golf shots, six NHL All-Stars play a par-4 island green course. The lowest score wins the competition. In the event of a tie for the fewest shots, the longest drive decides the winner.
• Tendy tandem: One goaltender from each division is designated as the shooting goaltender and one as the inside goaltender. The shooting goalie in a division shoots from a designated marker at a net. Three points are awarded if the shot goes in the hole, two points if the shot hits the target in the net, and no points if the shot misses the net. The goalkeeper in the opposing league’s net scores 3, 2 or 1 player depending on how many points the shooting goalkeeper scored. A save in the net earns the goaltender points based on the number of players faced. The goalkeeper tandem with the most total points.
There are four other events returning to the competition.
• NHL Fastest Skater: At least four players run a full lap around the ice. There will be two rounds. The preliminary round decides which two players will take part in the final.
• NHL Hardest Shot: At least four players compete to see who can shoot the puck the hardest.
• NHL Breakaway Challenge: At least four players and two goalies participate in a “Trick Shot” competition, in which a panel of judges rates each shot on a scale of 1 to 10 based on creativity. Props are allowed and encouraged.
• NHL Precision Shooting: Eight players and four passers work together to break four destructible styrofoam disks attached to the goalposts, one disk in each corner. The four players who hit all four targets the fastest advance to the final.
The 2023 NHL All-Star Weekend at FLA Live Arena includes the Skill Contest on Friday and the NHL All-Star Game on Saturday, February 4 at 3:00 p.m. on ABC and ESPN+. The All-Star Game will again be a four-team, 3v3 format.