It is common that a Windows user has to deal with Windows update errors occasionally. There is no specific error that appears while using the Windows Update tool. Depending on the cause, your computer may show you different errors from time to time.
Recently, many users reported that they received error 0x80070003 while updating their Windows 10 devices. Error 0x80070003 only appears when the Windows Update tool is unable to download or install the update on your device.
Unfortunately, Microsoft says nothing about the error. The error will pop up and prompt you to try the Windows update again. If you have limited internet bandwidth, this error can drain all your data and leave you clueless.
Fix Windows Update Error 0x80070003
So if you are unable to update your Windows 10 computer due to Error 0x80070003, you have landed on the right page. Below we have shared some of the best ways to fix it Windows update error 0x80070003. Let’s start.
1. Run the update troubleshooter
Windows 10 offers an update troubleshooter that claims to fix various issues and errors that are preventing you from updating Windows. You can run the update troubleshooter to find and fix the problem automatically. Here’s what you need to do.
To run Windows Update Troubleshooter, click Windows Search and type control panel. Next, open the Control Panel and select ‘System and safety’. Under System and Security, click the ‘Fix problems with Windows updates’ Shortcut.
This will run the Windows Update Troubleshooter. You have to ‘Apply repairs automatically’ and click the ‘Execute as administrator’ Shortcut. When you’re done, click the Next button.
That’s it! Now Windows Update Troubleshooter will run and try to update your device. If it finds a problem with the Windows Update tool, it will fix it automatically.
2. Temporarily disable Windows Defender
Many users have claimed to have fixed error 0x80070003 by disabling Windows Defender. Although you cannot disable Windows Defender entirely, you can disable the firewall and real-time scanning options. How to disable Windows Defender.
1. First click on Windows Search and type Windows security. Next, open the Windows Security app from the list of options.
2. Under Windows Security, click Virus and threat protection Possibility.
3. On the Virus & Threat Protection screen, clickmanage settings‘ Shortcut.
4. Next, uncheck the following options:
- real-time protection
- Cloud-delivered protection
- Automatic sample submission
- tamper protection
That’s it! After disabling the four options, you need to run the Windows Update tool again. This time you will not get error 0x80070003.
3. Run the SFC and DISM command
SFC and DISM commands scan and repair corrupted system installation files. Error 0x80070003 error during Windows update can also occur due to system file corruption. Therefore, you can try running these two commands to fix the problem.
1. First click on Windows search and type command prompt. Then right-click on Command Prompt and select “Run as administrator”.
2. When Command Prompt opens, paste sfc /scannow and press Enter.
3. The above command runs the System File Checker tool. This tool scans and repairs all corrupted system files.
4. If the SFC command returns an error, run the DISM command:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
That’s it! This is how you can run SFC and DISM commands on your Windows operating system to fix error 0x80070003.
4. Restart the Windows Update components
Since your Windows 10 fails to install a specific update, you can restart the update components. It’s easy to restart the Windows Update components, so follow the steps below.
1. First open the command prompt with administrator rights.
2. When Command Prompt opens, run the commands one by one
- net stop wuauserv
- net stop cryptSvc
- net stop bits
- net stop msiserver
- Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
- Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
- net start wuauserv
- net start cryptSvc
- net start bits
- net start msiserver
3. When finished, open Windows Update and check for updates again.
This is how you can restart the update components on your Windows machine.
5. Install Windows updates manually
Windows 10 and 11 give you the freedom to download and install the Windows updates manually. You can follow this approach if all methods failed to fix Windows update error 0x80070003.
You just need to know the updated version (build, version, etc.) which cannot be downloaded and installed on your device. If you know, you must go to Microsoft Update Catalog website and download the update package.
Once downloaded, you can install and restart it directly on your device. We have already provided detailed instructions on how to download and install Windows updates manually. Be sure to check this guide to know the steps.
Also Read: Download and Install Intel Unison on Windows 11 PC
So, these are the few best and easiest methods to fix Windows update error 0x80070003. If you need more help fixing error 0x80070003 on Windows, let us know in the comments. If the article helped you, share it with your friends too.